Blackstrap Molasses (BSM) is the third boiling of cane sugar syrup and has been known for decades as an excellent low cost healing tonic for a very wide range of ailments not to mention being great for hair and skin.
A lovely way to have it is over iced milk. Take one tablespoon of BSM and dissolve it in a little hot water, add ice and then top off with your choice of milk (not soya though!!). If you have a good blender – blend it.
Chromium is one of the nutrients needed to metabolize sugar. As regular sugar contains no chromium, it depletes the body of it’s store. One tablespoon a day of BSM contains 100% of the RDA for chromium.
1 tablespoon of BSM also provides over 10% of the RDA of iron, calcium, manganese, magnesium, copper, potassium, selenium and Vitamin B6 as well as many other essential nutrients and minerals.
A page from the lifestyle section of iloveindia.com cites the following benefits:
- Blackstrap molasses is an excellent source of essential nutrient calcium, which is required by the body for various physiological activities, like strengthening bones, removing toxins from the colon and preventing migraine attacks.
- The syrup is rich in copper, which helps in the production of connective tissue and melanin (skin and hair pigment), along with elimination of free radicals, in the body.
- Two teaspoons of blackstrap molasses fulfill 18% of the day’s requirement of manganese for the human body, which is important for healthy nervous system and cholesterol. It works by manufacturing fatty acids and producing energy from proteins and carbohydrates.
- Another important health benefit is obtained from the potassium, which is found in abundance in blackstrap molasses. It helps in sustaining electrolyte and pH balance in the body.
- The magnesium present in the syrup helps in stabilizing the content of extra calcium in the body, thereby acting as calcium channel blocker. In addition, it helps prevent calcium from entering the nerve cells, gives bones a physical structure and stores extra calcium on the surface of bone, which can be used when required.
- Blackstrap molasses can help in boosting the iron stores in the body and increase energy. The body is nourished with iron, by a regular intake of just two tablespoon of blackstrap molasses.
- The syrup is also a good source of vitamin B6, a nutrient that plays essential role in cellular reaction in the body and maintains healthy brain function.
- It is a good source of selenium, an antioxidant that prevents cancer and has anti-aging effects as well.
For a great collection of feedback from those who have tried it for a range of ailments visit the earthclinic page.